Friday, December 23, 2016

Linux code freeze

Dear Mr. Torvalds,

I guess you tired to hear that C++ is good and Linux lacks support for C++ kernel modules.
In this post I'll try to give you my vision why its happening.
Lets look onto VFS code.

It seems to me this is actually using of C-style workaround for modern OOP approach that is supported well in C++. This is not a reason to support modules written in D though.

I remember you mentioned everything dies and its just a matter of time for the Linux kernel as well. But should we hurry with that? Isn't hard to adapt STL to kernel? I guess Linux STL port could be not only cross platform and configurable to build for both kernel and user modes, but it also may have best implementation to hug tight the kernel. Think about it: C++ programs could become much faster running on Linux.
You may have hear about STLport. Implementing an allocator for in-kernel use is a student task. Implementing fs layer seems to me simple enough. Everything is do-able!

So what do I propose:
  • Implement new kernel-compatible C++ standard.
  • Implement thin user mode wrapper like libc[++?].
  • Allow C++ edits.
I believe society will applause.

No comments:

Post a Comment